September 13, 2019 (version 1.0):
- Original text version.
- Original 4 socio-natural patterns.
- Original 16 socio-technical principles.
December 13, 2019 (version 2.0):
- Added 4 new socio-ecological principles:
- Start small, explore the edges, and value the marginal.
- Apply self-regulation and respond positively to feedback.
- Value, use, and store local renewable resources and energy.
- Generate a yield through reciprocal relationships over time.
- Changed the following 8 principles:
- “Nurture all life and nature” became “Work with nature and nurture all life”.
- “Respect cultural heritage” became “Protect and restore natural and cultural heritage”.
- “Increase optionality, redundancy, and variety” became “Increase optionality, redundancy, and diversity”.
- “Make people safe and provide opportunities for all” became “Build safety in and provide opportunities for all”.
- “Develop people and human sensor networks” became “Develop human intelligence and human sensor networks”.
- “Scale modularity, recombination, and above all, trust” became “Scale decomposition, recombination, and above all, trust”.
- “Protect privacy and facilitate social interactions” became “Protect privacy and foster interactions through open protocols”.
- “Disintermediate information and synthesize knowledge” became “Disintermediate information and synthesize common knowledge”.
- Changed the following phrases:
- In the 2nd paragraph: “… to design and guide viable, resilient and healthy organizations and societies…” became “… to design, guide and regenerate viable, resilient and healthy socio-technical and socio-ecological systems…”.
- In the last paragraph: “… for organizations and societies to co-evolve…” became “… for socio-technical and socio-ecological systems to co-evolve…”.
- In the last paragraph: “… and ambiguous world” became “… and ambiguous world we currently live in.”.
- Added Biomimetics, Permaculture, and Ecosystem Ecology & Services to Acknowledgments.
- Added appropriate links to all scientific and empirical fields to Acknowledgments.
Photo credits: Suzanne D. Williams.